Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tomorrow, Utah – The Day After Tomorrow, well, also Utah

So, tomorrow I am headed to Salt Lake City for a poetry reading. I'll be reading from my book, Transistor Rodeo, as well as some newer poems, primarily from a series called Thus in the Limit, which tackles the topic of immigration. If you're in the Salt Lake area please come by!

The reading will be on Thursday (Feb 24) at 7 pm. The location is: Finch Lane Gallery/Art Barn, 1340 East 100 South, SLC, UT. There will also be a "noontime conversation" at the same location on Friday at – let me check – noon. Both events are free and open to the public.

I'll be reading with Ander Monson, who has published books of poetry and essays, which are worth reading, and I am certain will be worth hearing as well. I'm not sure how to describe Ander's work, so I'll describe him instead.

When you first see his name, you're like "Ander Monson! That's awesome. It's just like 'Another Monsoon.'"

Then, you meet him, and you're like "He so totally should have been named 'Another Monsoon.'"

Then, you find out that his twitter is @angermonsoon, and you're like "Anger Monsoon!  What did I tell you? See, it's perfect!  What!  No, why, what did you think I said? No, 'Anger Monsoon' is so much better than 'Another Monsoon.' Why would I say 'Another Monsoon'? That's just dumb."

Also, he is a connoisseur of beer, which already makes him one of America's Heroes, but more importantly, he recognizes that many microbrews lazily try to make their beer fancy by just adding more hops, which is sort of like trying to make your poetry better by just making it less comprehensible.

Anyway, his writing is sort of like the kind of thing that that guy would write. Come to the reading, and you'll see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment