Thursday, November 4, 2010

What's the Swedish internet made of?

So, if you've never played with Google Analytics, I highly recommend it. It is awesome. You can see who came to your website, where they came from, and what they were actually trying to find when they fell victim to your amateurish attempts at search engine optimization ("Sexy Megan Fox bikini pix!! Sexy Megan Fox bikini pix!!"). You can sort them by operating system, web browser, social security number, or alphabetically by password. It's the second best way to waste huge amounts of time on your computer – the best if you work at a place with content filtering.

For example, last week, I got a hit from Georgia. Not the Coca Cola and Peaches one; the Stalin and fighting-with-Chechens one. This person got to the site by searching for "ჯონ ვილკინს" on Google, which I can only assume is Kartuli for "People's 2010 rankings of the top 100 sexiest evolutionary biologists." It's an incredibly efficient language.

A couple of days ago, I got a hit from Sweden. Yes, the ABBA and Volvo one. In this case, the interesting thing was the service provider: "handelshogskolan." Now, we know that the American internet is a series of tubes. Well, apparently so is the Swedish internet, but their tubes are made out of pig intestines. Sadly, that means that from now on, when I hand my e-mails to my hamster, Hedwig, and send her off, I'm going to have to mentally revisit that whole Richard Gere thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment